Friday, January 29, 2016

The Case of the Teachernapping

I had a bit of a scare today as I was whisked off unexpectedly.  My twin sister, Mrs. Donaldson, took over for me and helped the students put their CSI knowledge, Habits of Mind, and math data skills into action to find me.  They processed the crime scene for evidence, used deductive reasoning, interviewed a witness, and found my location based on the median of the information I was able to provide.  It turns out that I was taken to a surprise party where our class was named ALERT class of 2015!  I am so proud.  I was able to make it back in time to celebrate with students.  I am looking forward to our awesomeness continuing in 2016.
Ready to process the crime scene with our crime solving gear.

Interviewing the eye witness.


We also managed to squeeze in some research on trials.  We have looked at crime scenes, forensics labs, and now will follow the evidence to court.  Students used Nearpod to read an article covering the basics of a trial and watched a BrainPop video sharing the difference between criminal and civil cases.  They also competed as defense vs. prosecution on the mock trial game at this website.  Next week we will take a virtual field trip through a courthouse and look closer at the parts of the courtroom system to prepare for our real field study there later in the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment